Default Black Sabbath - Paranoid - Vertigo - Bad Sound/Mix?

Hello,
    I just recently obtained one of these fabled unicorns! (To me anyway!) And I found it after decades of searching (I could have easily got it off ebay but what's the fun in that?). Good things come to those who wait. Or so I thought...

Anyway, I played it the other night (I waited so long for this man it was like preforming some sort of sacred ritual), and to my great dismay being a serious lifelong audiophile and Black Sabbath fan, found that the sound was shall I say...rather inferior. I could barely hear the high hat when War Pigs started! Surely the fabled Vertigo Paranoid version would have the best and crispest mix/sound of all. Unfortunately, the only other copy I had to compare it to was a 90's remastered reissue from Earmark that sounds incredible. Obviously it's going to sound better because it's remastered but I could clearly hear the high hats compared to the Vertigo version. (The only reason I did this in the first place is because it's absence was so jarring from years of hearing the WB version, vinyl/cassette/cd, that I wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy. It's like a type of musical muscle memory because I listened to that s**t so much. You know what I mean)

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on? This goes against everything I've ever learned about getting the 'original' version. Is the 70's WB version better somehow?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by skull View Post
    Hello,
    I just recently obtained one of these fabled unicorns! (To me anyway!) And I found it after decades of searching (I could have easily got it off ebay but what's the fun in that?). Good things come to those who wait. Or so I thought...

Anyway, I played it the other night (I waited so long for this man it was like preforming some sort of sacred ritual), and to my great dismay being a serious lifelong audiophile and Black Sabbath fan, found that the sound was shall I say...rather inferior. I could barely hear the high hat when War Pigs started! Surely the fabled Vertigo Paranoid version would have the best and crispest mix/sound of all. Unfortunately, the only other copy I had to compare it to was a 90's remastered reissue from Earmark that sounds incredible. Obviously it's going to sound better because it's remastered but I could clearly hear the high hats compared to the Vertigo version. (The only reason I did this in the first place is because it's absence was so jarring from years of hearing the WB version, vinyl/cassette/cd, that I wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy. It's like a type of musical muscle memory because I listened to that s**t so much. You know what I mean)

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on? This goes against everything I've ever learned about getting the 'original' version. Is the 70's WB version better somehow?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Cheers!
    Welcome to the boards Skull, is this a first pressing you have? Just curious.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    Welcome to the boards Skull, is this a first pressing you have? Just curious.
    Thanks.

Okay, okay. I think I might be onto something. I've been doing a lot of research trying to get to the bottom of this mystery and when you said 'is this a first pressing' it made me think. I thought to myself, well yes of course it is. It's Vertigo, it has the swirl, it's from 1970, it has all the hallmarks and identifiers and then for some reason I was like let me look at the run out matrix because none of this is making sense to me.

So I looked and this is what I found:

My copy says:

AA 6360011 1Y 320

I looked on discogs and that is the German pressing! The UK pressing is:

6360011 1Y//1 420

Could it really make that much of a difference?!?! And I've always been told that German pressings were always far superior back then anyway. Better mastering, better vinyl, etc.

Now I have heard that the original Vertigo pressing in general is a little more subdued so I don't want to go out of my trying to track down a UK version if it's going to sound the same. Do you know what the UK version sounds like?

I know this is very, very granular and microscopic but I figured that's what this forum is for, lol!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I know this is very, very granular and microscopic but I figured that's what this forum is for, lol!

This thread is for "What's better: Iommi with stache or without?"

Seriously, all topics have been exhausted ad nauseum. This is a breath of fresh air!

Been spending a lot of time and resources to get to the bottom of this mystery and finally came across something on discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/release/3766...eviews#c965284

'My copy is the same. The hi-hat during the first vocals on Warpigs is for example almost inaudible. Side B is more balanced but still very leaned towards to bottom.'

I also found on another site that the German Vertigo pressing is notoriously dull and the UK Vertigo is the one to get. It's bright, balanced, etc. This happens because of different mastering engineers, equipment, pressing plants etc. in different countries. I knew about all of this being a lifelong audiophile but never have come across versions so drastically different.

So mystery solved for anyone that's interested investing in Sabbath Vertigo records! Good luck! The original UK Version is the way to go for any Vertigo record.

better
    remastered
    pick one hahaha
    Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
    pick one hahaha
    Sometimes you get good ones, but even the good ones often have too much volume IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
    pick one hahaha
    I got nearly all of them, lol! Hope you'e been well Buffalo Bill.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)